Bread may actually be good for you
London: Nutritionists have declared that bread, far from being something to avoid, is actually beneficial for your health.
It comes with vital nutrients, vitamins and minerals, especially if you choose wholegrain varieties with added nuts, seeds or dried fruits.
But even white sliced bread has some nutritional value, as it`s a great source of calcium (essential if you`ve cut out that other modern dietary bogey, dairy).
Meanwhile, a new American diet book, "The Carb Lover`s Diet", insists that bread, far from being fattening, actually helps to burn calories, a newspaper reported.
It says, wholegrain bread is rich in `resistant starch`, a type of carbohydrate that leaves you feeling fuller for longer because it`s hard to digest.
"Studies show that resistant starch can help to curb cravings, control blood sugar levels and boost metabolism," say authors Ellen Kunes and Frances Largeman-Roth.
As it has only 80-100 calories a slice, bread can be a positive aid to weight loss rather than a diet-buster, as long as you don`t slather it with prawn mayo.
What`s more, although it has been fashionable in recent years to claim to be allergic to wheat, the number of people genuinely affected remains very small, between one-two percent of the population, according to Allergy UK.
And sufferers` symptoms go well beyond a bit of temporary bloating - they may get headaches, nausea, aches and pains or hay-fever-like symptoms.
If you do feel a little bloated after eating bread, nutritionists say that`s probably related to the effects of eating fibre and is good for you.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31