Breakthrough in organ scarring offers hope for patients waiting for transplants
Washington: Patients who have damaged organs could be helped by new treatments after researchers found how tissues scar, a new study has claimed.
According to researchers, the finding could pave the way for new drugs and eventually reduce the number of patients on organ transplant waiting lists.
Fibrotic diseases occur in many tissues within the body - including the liver, lung or kidneys - and have a range of causes including viruses or toxins.
Experts say that the main source of scar tissue is found in specialised cells called Myofibroblasts.
The study discovered that a molecule on these cells is a key regulator of fibrotic disease.
Scientists said that the molecule - called alpha v integrin - is a critical switch involved in turning on the myofibroblast cells to make scar tissue.
The team studied specially bred mice with fibrosis to see if removing the alpha v integrin molecule on myofibroblasts will reduce the amount of scar tissue in their organs.
Researchers found that when they removed alpha v integrin from these cells, the mice were protected from fibrosis of the liver, lung and kidneys.
They also found that when they treated the mice with a new experimental drug designed to block alpha v integrins, the animals were protected from liver and lung fibrosis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video