Breast milk promotes gut bugs that give baby immunity
Washington: A unique property in breast milk promotes gut bugs that give infants greater immunity from infections than any infant formula, according to a US study.
"This study provides insight to the mechanisms underlying the benefits of breast feeding over formula feeding for newborns," said William Parker, associate professor of surgery at Duke University Medical Centre and senior study author.
"Only breast milk appears to promote a healthy colonisation of beneficial biofilms, (complex layer adhering to gut surfaces) and these insights suggest there may be potential approaches for developing substitutes that more closely mimic those benefits in cases where breast milk cannot be provided," added Parker, the journal Current Nutrition & Food Science reports.
As scientists have learned more about the role intestinal flora plays in health, they have gained appreciation for how an infant`s early diet can affect this beneficial microbial universe, according to a Duke statement.
Earlier studies have shown that breast milk lowers the incidence of diarrhoea, flu and respiratory infections during infancy, while protecting against the later development of allergies, type 1 diabetes, multiple sclerosis and other illnesses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read