Breastfeeding most effective life saver for newborns
New Delhi: Breastfeeding is the most effective and inexpensive "life-safer" for newborns as well as their first immunisation and it supports the child`s ability to learn while helping prevent obesity and chronic diseases later in life, according to experts.
Highlighting the importance of breastfeeding, UNICEF Deputy Executive Director Geeta Rao Gupta today said, "There is no other single intervention that has such a high impact for babies and mothers as breastfeeding and which costs so little for governments. Breastfeeding is a baby’s first immunisation and the most effective and inexpensive life-saver ever."
Starting breastfeeding in the first hour after birth can reduce the risk of new-born death by up to 22 per cent by averting deaths related to sepsis, pneumonia, diarrhoea and hypothermia. Children who are exclusively breastfed are 14 times more likely to survive, the first six months of life, than non-breastfed children, UNICEF stated.
Breastfeeding also supports a child`s ability to learn and helps prevent obesity and chronic diseases later in life.
Apart from the benefits to the baby, mothers who breastfeed exclusively are less likely to become pregnant in the first six months following delivery, they recover faster after giving birth, and return to their pre-pregnancy weight sooner.
Evidence shows that they experience less post-partum depression and also have a lower risk of ovarian and breast cancers later in life, UNICEF stated.
Due to constant efforts by the government and various agencies, the rates of initiation of breastfeeding within one hour of birth have increased from 25 per cent in 2006 to 34 per cent in 2009.
The Annual Health Survey 2011 shows that rates of initiation of breastfeeding within one hour of birth has increased from 12 per cent in 2006 to 42 per cent in 2011 in seven states-Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Odisha and Rajasthan (where about 55 per cent of Indian infants are born and 72 per cent of infant deaths occur).
This year’s theme for World Breastfeeding Week (August 1-7) is `Breastfeeding support close to mothers` emphasises the importance of investing in frontline workers` capacity so that they can ably reach out to mothers and their families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams
- Complete list of award winners at IPL 2015