Breastfeeding not always best for mums
Wellington: A new study has revealed that many new mothers are under so much pressure to breastfeed, they have been psychologically distressed by their experiences.
The women, who all gave birth in Auckland in 2005, raised their concerns during interviews with clinical psychologist Leanne Taylor-Miller, according to Sunday Star Times.
Eight of the 32 mothers she spoke to were ‘psychologically distressed’ by their experiences.
Almost all the women had planned to breastfeed, but half found it much more painful and difficult than they expected.
More than a quarter had a positive experience and felt supported by health workers.
"I understand why breastfeeding is promoted," Stuff.co.nz quoted Taylor-Miller as saying.
"However, I think it needs to be acknowledged that there is potentially a significant negative impact on women who cannot breastfeed, and I don`t feel that`s been addressed. I think that is potentially a big problem," Taylor-Miller added.
The research, through the University of Auckland, is qualitative so the data cannot be translated to the wider population, but Taylor-Miller says it backs up anecdotal evidence that mothers who struggle to breastfeed are being overlooked by the system – and she warns that could trigger post-natal depression or anxiety.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’