`Brown rice reduces type 2 diabetes risk`
Washington: In a finding which may have
implications for Asians, including Indians, whose staple food
is rice, scientists claim to have found that eating white rice
could increase one`s risk of developing type 2 diabetes while
the brown variety can lower the risk of the disease.
A new study by the Harvard School of Public Health has
found that eating five or more servings of white rice per week
is associated with an increased risk of type 2 diabetes, while
consuming two or more servings of brown rice every week could
lower the risk substantially.
"The study is the first to specifically examine
white rice and brown rice in relation to diabetes risk," said
Qi Sun, who led the team.
"Rice consumption in the US has dramatically increased
in recent decades. We believe replacing white rice and other
refined grains with whole grains, including brown rice, would
help lower the risk of type 2 diabetes," said Sun.
Brown rice is superior to white rice when it comes to
fibre content, minerals, vitamins, and phytochemicals, and it
often does not generate as large an increase in blood sugar
levels after a meal.
Milling and polishing brown rice removes most vitamins
and minerals. In addition, milling strips away most of its
fibre, which helps deter diabetes by slowing the rush of sugar
(glucose) into the bloodstream.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi