Caesarean born babies at high risk of asthma by age of 3
Washington: Children delivered by caesarean section have an increased risk of developing asthma at the age of three, researchers have suggested.
This was particularly seen among children without a hereditary tendency to asthma and allergies, according to the study from the Norwegian Mother and Child Cohort Study (MoBa).
Data from more than 37 000 participants in the MoBa study were used to study the relationship between delivery method and the development of lower respiratory tract infections, wheezing and asthma in the first three years of life.
Children born by planned or emergency caesarean section were compared with those born vaginally.
The results indicate that children born by caesarean section have a slightly elevated risk for asthma at three years, but have no increased risk of frequent lower respiratory tract infections or wheezing.
The increased risk of asthma among children delivered by caesarean section was higher among children of mothers without allergies.
“It is unlikely that a caesarean delivery itself would cause an increased risk of asthma, rather that children delivered this way may have an underlying vulnerability,” said Maria Magnus, a researcher at the Department of Chronic Diseases at the Norwegian Institute of Public Health.
The increased risk of asthma may be due to an altered bacterial flora in the intestine that affects their immune system development, or because children born this way often have an increased risk of serious respiratory problems during the first weeks of life.
The finding was published in the American Journal of Epidemiology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony