Caffeine may worsen menopausal hot flashes, night sweats
Washington: Scientists have found an association between caffeine intake and more bothersome hot flashes and night sweats in postmenopausal women.
The study by Mayo clinic researchers in the US also showed an association between caffeine intake and fewer problems with mood, memory and concentration in perimenopausal women, possibly because caffeine is known to enhance arousal, mood and attention.
The findings of this largest study to date on caffeine and menopausal symptoms will be published in the journal Menopause.
For the study, researchers conducted a survey using the Menopause Health Questionnaire, a comprehensive assessment of menopause-related health information that includes personal habits and ratings of menopausal symptom presence and severity.
Questionnaires were completed by 2,507 consecutive women who presented with menopausal concerns at the Women's Health Clinic at Mayo Clinic in Rochester between July 25, 2005, and July 25, 2011.
Data from 1,806 women who met all inclusion criteria were analysed. Menopausal symptom ratings were compared between caffeine users and nonusers.
"While these findings are preliminary, our study suggests that limiting caffeine intake may be useful for those postmenopausal women who have bothersome hot flashes and night sweats," said Stephanie Faubion, director of the Women's Health Clinic at Mayo Clinic in Rochester.
The study was published in the journal Menopause.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui