Calcium and vitamin D intake timing may affect how bone adapts to exercise
Washington: Taking calcium and vitamin D before exercise may influence how bones adapt to exercise, according to a new study.
The study lead author Vanessa D. Sherk, PhD, postdoctoral research fellow at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus, the timing of calcium supplementation, and not just the amount of supplementation, may be an important factor in how the skeleton adapts to exercise training.
In the study, which included 52 men aged 18 to 45 years, investigators found that an exercise-induced decrease in blood calcium occurred whether calcium supplements were taken before or after exercising.
Pre-exercise supplementation, however, resulted in less of a decrease.
Although not statistically significant, parathyroid hormone levels increased slightly less among cyclists who took calcium before exercising.
"Taking calcium before exercise may help keep blood levels more stable during exercise, compared to taking the supplement afterwards, but we do not yet know the long-term effects of this on bone density," Sherk said.
The timing of calcium supplementation did not cause a difference in blood levels of a compound that is a biological indicator of bone loss.
Both the before- and after-exercise groups exhibited 50-percent increases in the level of this compound, called CTX, for collagen type-1 C-telopeptide.
The study will be presented at The Endocrine Society`s 95th Annual Meeting in San Francisco.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire