Can proteins in blood predict early death?
Washington: Levels of two blood components - cystatin C and beta trace protein - are newly proposed markers that may be better predictors of an individuals` future health.
The condition of kidneys could tell whether there is a likelihood of premature death after its functioning is impaired. Kidney function is most accurately represented by the kidneys` filtration rate, but this is difficult to measure. Therefore, blood levels of a protein called creatinine are commonly used to assess kidney function.
But now it`s thought that cystatin C and beta trace protein may go beyond indicating kidney health to include other aspects of an individual`s wellbeing, the Journal of the American Society Nephrology reports.
Mark Sarnak and Navdeep Tangri from Tufts University Medical Centre and colleagues analysed data from the Modification of Diet in Renal Disease Study, which provided levels of these markers for 816 kidney disease patients who were then followed for 16.6 years.
The researchers found that, independent of the kidneys` filtration rate, participants with higher creatinine had a higher risk of developing kidney failure, but a lower risk of dying.
Those with higher cystatin C and beta trace protein had a higher risk of both kidney failure and death, according to a Tufts statement.
These results suggest that creatinine, beta trace protein and cystatin C may be predictive of aspects of health that go beyond the kidneys. Beta trace protein and cystatin C appear to provide more consistent prognostic information than creatinine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins
- Rohit Shetty's 'Ram Lakhan' remake not happening anymore? Here's what we know so far!
- Gionee S6s smartphone for selfie lovers to be launched in India today
- Rio Olympics 2016: Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu shine for India; USA top tally with 121 medals