Cancer cases found in women with French brand implants
Paris: Health authorities in France have confirmed to have come across at least 20 cases of cancer among women having breast implants of a French brand.
As of Tuesday, "there were three cases of lymphoma, 15 cases of breast adenocarcinoma, the most common form of breast cancer, one case of adenocarcinoma of the lung, and one case of acute myeloid leukemia," Xinhua quoted the French Health Products Safety Agency (AFSSAPS) as saying.
It was stated in reference to allegedly faulty implants produced by the Poly Implant Prothese (PIP).
But "no accountability has been established to date between these cancers and the wearing of PIP implants," the agency said.
The French Health Ministry last week advised 30,000 women to have their PIP implants removed. It was suggested because of an increased risk of rupture to avoid the risk of cancer though no conclusive evidence was found linking to the disease.
The recommendation came after eight cases, mainly breast cancer, were reported among women with PIP implants.
Authorities in other countries also advised women to consult their doctors over the implants.
The French company PIP was once the world`s third-largest producer of silicone implants which sold its products to tens of thousands of women in over 65 countries and regions, mainly in South America and Western Europe.
The company was found to replace the medical-grade silicone in its implants with unauthorised material that caused abnormally high rupture rates of its implants. After that, its products were banned and the company went bankrupt in 2010.
The US government raised the alarm over the company in 2000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown