Cancer-causing chemical found in baby milk in China
Beijing: Five batches of an infant formula milk powder made by a Chinese company have been found to be tainted with a highly toxic aflatoxin, a substance that can cause severe liver damage or even cancer.
The Nanshan Bywise milk powder, produced by the Hunan AVA Dairy Co., failed tests conducted by the Guangzhou Industrial and Commercial Administration Bureau, the Global Times reported Monday.
Another milk product brand, Bright Dairy, also failed recent sample tests.
An analyst said the claim would hurt the producer`s sales and push consumers further away from domestic brands.
"The scandal will surely dampen the short-term sales of Nanshan," said a dairy industry analyst at Beijing Orient Agribusiness Consultant.
The firm said it has not received the test results, and were still verifying the news.
The cancer-causing aflatoxin tends to form when fodder for milk cows, like corn and peanuts, are stored for a long time in poorly-ventilated places.
Domestic dairy companies were badly hit after melamine was found in milk products in 2008.
In December 2011, food items of leading dairy producer Mengniu were also found to contain aflatoxin.
China presents huge potential for milk powder consumption, with 16 to 20 million new births annually.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25