Cancer-causing toxin found in Chinese milk
Beijing: Excessive levels of a cancer-causing toxin have been discovered in milk produced by one of China’s leading dairy companies.
China’s quality watchdog, the General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine, found high levels of an aflatoxin in milk and milk products after it conducted a random check at Mengniu Dairy.
While the national standard allowed a maximum of 0.5 micrograms carcinogenic content in a kg of milk, the official test found 1.2 micrograms of the toxic substance in the Mengniu sample, The China Daily reports.
According to the test result published on the website of the general administration, the sample product was a 250 ml pack of pure milk produced on December 18.
Aflatoxin is virulent in terms of toxicity and is classified as a first-class carcinogen by the World Health Organization.
According to the paper, Mengniu apologized to consumers on its website on Sunday, without mentioning the cause of the incident.
Lu Jianjun, a spokesman for Mengniu said that the company has checked other batches, and no faulty products were found.
“Now Mengniu products in the market are all safe,” he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know