Can`t sleep at night? Kicking the butt may help
Washington: Here is another reason to quit smoking - it can help you sleep better at night.
In a new study, researchers found that for each cigarette smoked total sleep time decreased by 1.2 minutes.
Smoking is a leading cause of preventable death and while the numerous health problems directly caused by smoking are well documented, less is known about the effects of smoking on sleep.
The study by University of Florida and Research Triangle Park is the first to look at sleep difficulty by smoking status in a large population-based, nationally representative sample.
They found that 11.9 per cent of current smokers have trouble falling asleep, 10.6 per cent wake in the night and 9.5 per cent wake too early in the morning.
The figures for non-smokers were much lower and significantly the study found that those who had given up smoking saw improvements in their sleep.
Insufficient sleep has been associated with numerous physical and mental health problems including depression, diabetes and high blood sugar.
The new research suggests that smokers may be more susceptible to the illnesses associated with poor sleep along with the more commonly recognised health problems associated with smoking such as cancer and cardiovascular disease.
The research was published in journal Psychology, Health & Medicine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India