CCEA approves Rs 182-cr National Tobacco Control Programme
New Delhi: Aiming at effective
implementation of tobacco control laws, government today
approved a National Tobacco Control Programme (NTCP) to
generate greater awareness about its harmful effects and
setting up of laboratories to test its products.
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, which approved
the NTCP at its meeting today, also finalised a total
financial outlay of Rs 182 crore for the programme during the
11th Plan, an official statement said.
Besides launching public awareness and media campaigns,
the NTCP would provide for the establishment of tobacco
product testing laboratories to build regulatory capacity.
It would cover the entire country, while the pilot phase
would focus on 42 districts of 21 states.
The programme components would be integrated as part of
the health delivery mechanisms and research and training on
alternate crops and livelihood for tobacco farmers as well as
adult tobacco survey would be carried out under the NTCP.
At the state level, dedicated control cells for effective
implementation and monitoring of anti-tobacco initiatives
would be set up, the statement said.
The NTCP would also be carried out at the district
levels, with training imparted to health and social workers,
NGOs and school teachers, besides programmes to be carried out
in schools, the statement said.
The programme would be implemented in the remaining years
of the 11th Plan in 21 states, where state governments would
work out district-specific plans.
These would include training, sensitisation workshops on
awareness building and implementation of the law.
Funds for establishment of tobacco testing labs would be
released in a phased manner so that these are set up by
2010-11, it said.
The adult tobacco survey would be completed in April this
year and evaluation of the pilot phase of NTCP, currently
being implemented in 42 districts, would also be taken up in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH