CCEA approves Rs 8,632 cr for AIDS control programme
New Delhi: The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) Thursday approved budgetary support of Rs.8,632.77 crore for the National AIDS Control Programme (NACP) Phase-IV which seeks to provide comprehensive care and support to all HIV/AIDS affected people.
An official release said that NACP IV will integrate with other national programmes and align with overall 12th Five Year Plan goals of inclusive growth and development.
"Having initiated the process of reversal in several high prevalent areas with continued emphasis on prevention, the next phase of NACP will focus on accelerating the reversal process and ensure integration of the programme response," the release said.
The main objective of NACP IV include reducing new infections by 50 percent (2007 baseline of NACP III).
The programme will provide comprehensive care and support to all people living with HIV/AIDS and treatment services for all those who require it. The objectives will be realised by intensifying prevention services with a focus on high-risk groups and vulnerable population.
The government launched the first National AIDS Control Programme (NACP I) in 1992. NACP II was initiated in 1998. Based on the learning from NACP I and II, the government designed and Implemented NACP III (2007-2012) with an objective to "halt and reverse the HIV epidemic In India" by the end of the project.
The release said there has been a steady decline in overall prevalence and nearly 50 percent decrease in new infections over the last ten years and NACP IV aims to consolidate the gains of NACP III. "NACP III has given desired results and has been quoted as a global success," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre