Cell phone emissions weaken bones: Researchers
Accra: Are you wearing the cell phone on
the waist belt? If yes, think twice.
In a new research, health researchers have warned that
wearing a cell phone on one`s belt could lead to decreased
bone density in the area of the pelvis that is commonly used
for bone grafts.
The research report on the health effects of
electro-magnetic emissions from cell phone, carried out by Dr
Tolga Atay and colleagues of Suleyman Demirel University of
Turkey gives way to a new discovery of bone weakening effect
by use of cell phones.
However, the researchers said that the findings were
preliminary, according to GNA.
Even though findings have not been conclusive, the
World Health Organisation and individual scientists have
called for precaution in the use of cell phones.
"It would be better to keep mobile phones as far as
possible from our body during our daily lives.
"With long-term exposure, electro-magnetic fields from
cell phones could weaken the bone, potentially affecting the
outcomes of surgical procedures using bone grafts," the report
The report said the researchers measured bone density
at the upper rims of the pelvis in 150 men who were cell phone
users and carried their phones on their belts.
Out of the 150 men, 122 carried their phones on the
right side and 28 on the left side and they had all used cell
phones for an average of six years.
The measurements were performed using a technique
called dual x-ray absorptiometry- the same test used to
measure bone density in patients with osteoporosis and other
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi