Cell phone emissions weaken bones: Researchers
Accra: Are you wearing the cell phone on
the waist belt? If yes, think twice.
In a new research, health researchers have warned that
wearing a cell phone on one`s belt could lead to decreased
bone density in the area of the pelvis that is commonly used
for bone grafts.
The research report on the health effects of
electro-magnetic emissions from cell phone, carried out by Dr
Tolga Atay and colleagues of Suleyman Demirel University of
Turkey gives way to a new discovery of bone weakening effect
by use of cell phones.
However, the researchers said that the findings were
preliminary, according to GNA.
Even though findings have not been conclusive, the
World Health Organisation and individual scientists have
called for precaution in the use of cell phones.
"It would be better to keep mobile phones as far as
possible from our body during our daily lives.
"With long-term exposure, electro-magnetic fields from
cell phones could weaken the bone, potentially affecting the
outcomes of surgical procedures using bone grafts," the report
The report said the researchers measured bone density
at the upper rims of the pelvis in 150 men who were cell phone
users and carried their phones on their belts.
Out of the 150 men, 122 carried their phones on the
right side and 28 on the left side and they had all used cell
phones for an average of six years.
The measurements were performed using a technique
called dual x-ray absorptiometry- the same test used to
measure bone density in patients with osteoporosis and other
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam