Cell that worsens rheumatoid arthritis discovered
Tokyo: A team of researchers from Japan have identified a new immune cell that intensifies rheumatoid arthritis.
Rheumatoid arthritis is an inflammatory disorder that mainly affects joints and occurs when excessive immune response destroys bone.
According to the researchers, the new cell is created when the cell that originally controlled the excessive immune reactions mutates, the Japan times reported.
The study on mice found that it later powerfully promotes the activities of osteoclast, a cell that destroys bones.
The team, which included University of Tokyo visiting researcher Noriko Komatsu and professor Hiroshi Takayanagi, revealed that the same mutation is believed to happen in human arthritis patients.
Bones and cartilage in joints are usually shielded by synovial membrane and fluid secreted from it. In arthritis patients, abnormal growth of cells in the membrane causes inflammation.
The team also found that interleukin-6 released by cells, in the membrane that causes inflammation, triggers the mutation.
The study is published in journal Nature Medicine.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan