Cellphone radiation not harmful to human body: COAI
Mumbai: Seeking to set at rest the fears of health hazards due to use of cellphones, the Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI) on Wednesday claimed that radiation from mobile phones and cellular towers had no adverse effect on the human body.
COAI, a representative body for GSM operators in India,
said there are many "misconceptions and apprehensions" with
regard to radiation from mobile phones and base stations and
it has time and again emphasised that these are "not
injurious" to the human body.
"It has been repeatedly brought out by ICNIRP review
papers and WHO fact sheets that RF radiations from mobile
phones and cellular towers have no adverse effect on the human
body," COAI said in a statement.
International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation
Protection (ICNIRP) is a body of independent scientific
experts that works closely with World Health Organisation.
ICNIRP has recently published two review papers nixing
fears that radiation from mobile phones cause malignant
tumours in the human brain.
Quoting the review report by ICNIRP, the association said
that experimental data does not suggest so far that children
are more susceptible than adults to RF radiation, "but few
relevant studies have been conducted".
It further said that a wide range of subjective symptoms
including headaches and migraine, fatigue and skin itches have
been attributed to various RF sources both at home and work.
"However, the evidence from doubleblind provocation
studies suggest that the reported symptoms are not causally
related to EMF (electro-magnetic field) exposure," the review
"We are delighted to see the re-endorsement by ICNIRP
that there is no evidence of any health hazard whatsoever from
the radio-frequency (RF) radiations from mobile phones and
cellular towers," COAI Director General T V Ramachandran said.
"In fact, there is reassurance by ICNIRP that there is no
need to have any concern even with regard to exposure of
children to RF radiation," he added.
The Department of Telecommunication had in July last year
approved the adoption of guidelines by ICNIRP for the telecom
sector in India.
These guidelines lay down the limits of maximum exposure
that can be permitted from mobile phones and base stations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- Heatwave toll rises to 1,826, over 1,300 dead in Andhra Pradesh