Centre will set up 20 new state cancer institutes: Azad
New Delhi: The Centre will set up 20 new state cancer institutes across the country along with 23 new tertiary cancer centres to address the increased requirement of cancer-related treatments in the country, Union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said today.
"...The central government last week has approved funds for establishment of these institutes and also the existing 27 regional cancer care centres will be strengthened," Azad said.
This initiative will add 70 state-of-the-art tertiary cancer centres in government sectors, the Minister said while addressing the 41st convocation of AIIMS here.
A National Cancer Institute with state-of-the-art research and patient care facilities would be established at Jhajjar in Haryana, where the government has acquired 300 acres of land for teaching and research requirements of AIIMS, he said.
Azad said the government has upgraded 19 institutions and it intends to take up another 29 government medical colleges for upgradation in the 12th plan period.
He said work on the seventh AIIMS at Rae Bareli would start soon with the land being acquired and the tendering process at an advanced stage.
The process of setting up an AIIMS in Raiganj in West Bengal is under way, he said.
The Minister, however, said these ambitious projects and their effective implementation require availability of large number of trained and skilled human resources.
He said the government has allocated additional financial resources for modernisation of existing facilities at AIIMS here, which is under severe strain due to increased patient load.
"Due to the implicit faith of the people in the patient care services at this institute, nearly 10,000 patients visit the AIIMS OPD every day from all parts of the country," he said.
The Minister conferred degrees on 509 newly graduated doctors. The programme was also attended by Margaret Chan, Director General of the World Health Organisation.
Chan gave away medals for meritorious academic excellence to 29 students. She said the new doctors symbolise India's aspirations and advised the students to serve the poor and vulnerable sections of society.
She advised them to serve with humanity, quoting Mahatma Gandhi that 'Service without humanity' is a deadly sin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'