Cheek swabs could help detect lung cancer early
London: Researchers have thought up a new method to detect lung cancer - by shining light on cell swabs from patients` cheeks.
The technique - called partial wave spectroscopic (PWS) microscopy - could distinguish between patients with lung cancer from those without.
This holds true even if the non-cancerous patients are lifetime smokers or had suffered from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
Lung cancer is the second most common cancer in England and Wales, which claimed 29,660 lives in 2007, according to the journal Cancer Research.
The condition is notoriously difficult to detect in its early stages but researchers say they could soon have a new way of screening for the disease thanks to the recent breakthrough, reports the Daily Mail.
Scientists from Northwestern University and New York University in the US realised that patients with lung cancer have telltale signs of rough and clumped distribution of chromatin (the material that makes up chromosomes) in their cheek cells.
They can uncover them by scattering light over the cells as it bounces back differently than it does from the smoother surface of healthy cells.
Lead researcher Hemant Roy of NorthShore University HealthSystems, US, said: "This study is important because it provides the proof of the concept that a minimally intrusive, risk-stratification technique may allow us to tailor screening for lung cancer."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents