Chicken capsules ``can provide relief from rheumatoid arthritis``
Washington: Chicken type II collagen (CCII), a protein extracted from the cartilage of chicken breast, is a safe and effective treatment for rheumatoid arthritis (RA), says a new study.
According to a randomised, controlled trial, published in BioMed Central``s open access journal Arthritis Research & Therapy, chicken collagen can help provide relief from aching joints.
Wei Wei, from Anhui Medical University, China, worked with a team of researchers to test the novel treatment by comparing it to the established antirheumatic drug methotrextate, in 503 RA patients.
Patients who received a 12-week course of CCII capsules showed significantly improved joint function, with fewer and milder adverse effects than those taking methotrexate.
According to Wei, "We``ve shown that CCII is a promising alternative therapeutic strategy that may be used as a nutritional supplement against rheumatoid arthritis".
RA is an autoimmune disease caused by the body mounting a response against its own cartilage - the rubbery tissue, composed mainly of collagen, which cushions and lubricates joints.
By dosing patients with collagen in the form of CCII capsules, the researchers believe that ``oral tolerance`` can be developed.
Wei said, "Oral tolerance is a reduction in autoimmune activity caused by repeated dietary exposure to the offending substance.
Treatment of autoimmune diseases by induction of oral tolerance is attractive because of the few side effects and easy clinical implementation of this approach. Indeed, our work confirms that treatment with oral CCII leads to improvement in arthritis with no significant side effects"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore