China: 39 children in found to have lead poisoning
Beijing: Thirty-nine children were hospitalised in China after they were found to have excessive lead levels in their blood, authorities said on Friday.
A two-week health check period in southwest China` s Yunnan province earlier this month showed excessive levels in blood samples of 39 children under the age of 14, Xinhua reported.
The health checks followed a crackdown by the local environmental protection department on illegal gold metallurgy activities, which could generate lead fumes and poisonous solid waste.
Excessive amounts of lead in the body can harm the nervous and reproductive systems and cause high blood pressure and anaemia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic