China: 39 children in found to have lead poisoning
Beijing: Thirty-nine children were hospitalised in China after they were found to have excessive lead levels in their blood, authorities said on Friday.
A two-week health check period in southwest China` s Yunnan province earlier this month showed excessive levels in blood samples of 39 children under the age of 14, Xinhua reported.
The health checks followed a crackdown by the local environmental protection department on illegal gold metallurgy activities, which could generate lead fumes and poisonous solid waste.
Excessive amounts of lead in the body can harm the nervous and reproductive systems and cause high blood pressure and anaemia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui