China on verge of stem cell breakthrough
New Delhi: China is on the verge of achieving a breakthrough in stem cell research, says a top scientist in the field.
Zhou Qi, chief scientist with the stem cell research project at the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), said Chinese scientists are expecting a major scientific breakthrough to be made within the next decade, reports the China Daily.
"We are now close to the day when we will be able to hail a breakthrough in this important technology.
"China needs five to 10 years to shift from basic research to clinical application and another 10 years to realize large-scale clinical application," he said.
Going forward, the priority will be to focus on stem cell regulation, core mechanisms for stem-cell therapies and standardized applications of stem cells, said Zhou.
Zhou said China has achieved the fastest development in stem cell research of any country during the past 10 years.
He said China would like to cooperate with international qualified repositories of stem cell material in the near future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says