China quarantines 107 UK students, teachers
Beijing: Chinese health authorities have
quarantined 107 visiting students and teachers from Britain at
a hotel in Beijing after some of their schoolmates were
diagnosed with swine flu, the British Embassy said today.
Nine British citizens were confirmed with swine flu
and had been hospitalised, the embassy said in a statement.
Eight of the cases were of students from a group that is in
China for language and cultural immersion courses.
Today`s tally of the people who were quarantined was
twice the total the embassy provided yesterday, but no reason
was given for the increase.
A group of American students in Beijing for a summer
volleyball camp have also been quarantined in Beijing at the
same hotel, although a few were released today.
The US Embassy`s spokeswoman Susan Stevenson said the
embassy did not have a total number of Americans quarantined
in China, but said they were "aware of several cases at the
Stevenson said about 1,800 Americans had been
quarantined in China since the swine flu measures began in
early May, of which 200 people tested positive for swine flu.
China`s drill for keeping out swine flu is one of the
strictest in the world. Officials in masks or sometimes hazmat
suits board planes with temperature guns that they point at
passengers` foreheads. If a passenger is later diagnosed with
swine flu, anyone seated within three rows of the person is
often tracked down.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test