China quarantines 107 UK students, teachers
Beijing: Chinese health authorities have
quarantined 107 visiting students and teachers from Britain at
a hotel in Beijing after some of their schoolmates were
diagnosed with swine flu, the British Embassy said today.
Nine British citizens were confirmed with swine flu
and had been hospitalised, the embassy said in a statement.
Eight of the cases were of students from a group that is in
China for language and cultural immersion courses.
Today`s tally of the people who were quarantined was
twice the total the embassy provided yesterday, but no reason
was given for the increase.
A group of American students in Beijing for a summer
volleyball camp have also been quarantined in Beijing at the
same hotel, although a few were released today.
The US Embassy`s spokeswoman Susan Stevenson said the
embassy did not have a total number of Americans quarantined
in China, but said they were "aware of several cases at the
Stevenson said about 1,800 Americans had been
quarantined in China since the swine flu measures began in
early May, of which 200 people tested positive for swine flu.
China`s drill for keeping out swine flu is one of the
strictest in the world. Officials in masks or sometimes hazmat
suits board planes with temperature guns that they point at
passengers` foreheads. If a passenger is later diagnosed with
swine flu, anyone seated within three rows of the person is
often tracked down.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured