China starts research on H7N9 vaccine
Beijing: China has started research for the development of a vaccine for the H7N9 bird flu virus, a health official said Monday.
However, complications in the development and manufacturing process mean it may take about six to eight months before the vaccine can be brought to market, said Liang Wannian, director of the H7N9 influenza prevention and control office under the National Health and Family Planning Commission (NHFPC).
Liang said the decision to put the vaccine into production will depend on whether the virus can mutate to become human-to-human transmissible, reported Xinhua.
If it becomes evident that the virus is spreading among humans, the vaccine will be required, but it would be uneconomical to distribute the vaccine if such signs do not appear, Liang said.
Liang said vaccination is not the only effective way to prevent the disease.
"We are taking a series of measures to prevent and control infections. Infection monitoring efforts are under way in over 500 hospitals and 400 labs nationwide," Liang said.
"We have confidence in keeping the disease under control," he said.
Deng Haihua, a senior official, said traditional Chinese medicine and treatment
are also being considered in the efforts to deal with the disease.
Feng Zijian, director of the emergency response center of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, said authorities and medical workers are working on measures to identify and treat patients at an early stage to reduce the virus`s mortality.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened