Chinese vaccine shields against hepatitis E - Lancet
Paris: A prototype vaccine devised and tested in China has proven 100-percent effective in preventing hepatitis E, a disease that is widespread in the developing world and can be fatal, investigators reported in The Lancet on Monday.
The formula, tested on 100,000 volunteers in Jiangsu provinces, was completely effective after three doses and side effects were "few and mild", they said.
The hepatitis E virus, often transmitted by faecal contamination of water supplies, causes liver inflammation, whose symptoms are jaundice, fever and vomiting. It was only recognised as a distinct disease 30 years ago.
Around a third of the world`s population have been infected by the virus, according to figures cited in the study.
Mortality from the disease is low, but people with chronic liver disease and pregnant mothers and their foetuses are badly at risk.
The Jiangsu trial is the third and final phase of the process to assess a new vaccine for safety and effectiveness.
The trialled formula, codenamed HEV 239, is a recombinant vaccine, meaning that it includes a protein from the virus designed to stimulate the body`s immune defences.
It was administered to 48,000 healthy adults aged 16-65, while an identical group of counterparts received a placebo. Three doses were issued over six months, and the volunteers were then monitored for a year.
Fifteen fell ill with hepatitis E in the placebo group, but there were no cases in the vaccine group.
Another piece of good news is that the vaccine was also fully effective among those who had received only two doses.
"During a hepatitis E outbreak, or for travellers to an endemic area, protection can be quickly obtained by two vaccine doses given within one month," said the study, headed by Nin-Shao Xia, of the Institute of Diagnostic and Vaccine Development in Infectious Diseases in Xiamen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22