Chocolate to combat heart diseases
Chocolate could be combating heart disease and conferring other major health benefits within five years.
Researchers are scouring the genome of the tree theobroma cacao to find ways of enhancing the health benefits of cocoa beans produced by the plant.
They took two years to unlock the genetic code of the tree and now hope to use the information it contains to improve the quality, flavour and nutritional value of the beans, which are used to produce chocolate.
They believe they can boost the levels of compounds known as flavonols in the beans, reports the Telegraph.
Flavonols have been found in recent research to improve blood pressure and have beneficial effects on the cardiovascular system.
Howard-Yara Shapiro, professor of environmental sciences at the University of California, US, said: "The idea is that this is something that will become the norm - healthy fats, high levels of flavonols."
"Chocolate will become something quite different in 10-15 years and we are on that track now," he said, according to a University of California release.
"It is not something we can deliver tomorrow, but maybe in five years we can."
Shapiro persuaded Mars Incorporated to fund the $10 million project to decode the genome, with the help of computer firm IBM, which analysed the data, and the US Department of Agriculture.
Shapiro and his team are now searching the cocoa tree`s 34,997 genes in the attempt to select key traits that will improve the plants and the chocolate that comes from them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video