`Chronic stress leads gay teenagers to binge drinking`
Toronto: Chronic stress caused by difficult social situations, including discrimination, victimisation and homophobia, leads to higher rates of binge drinking among lesbian and gay adolescents compared to their heterosexual peers, a study showed.
Gay and lesbian teens reported greater psychological distress when they experienced violence or victimisation, if they had internalised homophobia, and if they had made their sexual orientation known.
The findings were consistent with minority stress theory that says chronic stress due to discrimination, rejection, harassment, concealment of sexual orientation, internalised homophobia (negative attitudes toward homosexuality) and other negative experiences leads to poor health.
Previous studies had shown that lesbian and gay people experience higher rates of physical and mental health problems.
For the study, researchers from the Saban Research Institute of Children's Hospital in Los Angeles analysed responses from 1,232 youths aged 12-18 years who took part in an online survey.
Internalised homophobia was a significant predictor of binge drinking, while experiencing violence or victimisation was marginally associated with binge drinking, the study showed.
"Studies like this one can potentially lead to tailored treatment approaches based on the unique experiences of lesbian and gay adolescents," said lead author Sheree Schrager.
Schrager presented the study May 3 at the Pediatric Academic Societies annual meeting in Vancouver, Canada.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video