City lab to pay Rs 2.05 lakh for wrongly diagnosing youth as HIV+
New Delhi: A city-based diagnostic clinic has been ordered by a consumer forum here to pay Rs 2.05 lakh as damages to a 25-year-old youth for wrongly diagnosing him as HIV positive and depriving him of an employment opportunity abroad.
The South West District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum ticked off Paramount Diagnostic Centre saying that it was "not only negligent but also rash" in declaring Delhi resident Mohd Dilshad unfit instead of confirming its report through fresh tests.
"If the test conducted by the opposite party (Paramount) had to be re-run after four to six weeks to confirm it then the lab could not have reported him unfit on the basis of their (initial) findings... Their haste in declaring him unfit immediately after the test is not only negligent but also rash on their part," the bench presided by Narendra Kumar said.
The forum also noted that Paramount`s report had been proved "false" by all subsequent tests including one by the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) which was conducted within two weeks of the "faulty" report.
"This faulty report resulted in deprivation of employment to complainant who was a young job seeker of 25 years of age," it said and directed the clinic to pay Dilshad Rs two lakh as compensation for loss of job and reputation along with Rs 5,000 as litigation cost.
Dilshad in his plea had said that he was required to undergo a fitness test after clearing his interview for the job of electrician in a Saudi Arabian company and as per his employer`s directions he had visited the diagnostic centre on October 4, 2010 for undergoing the fitness test.
The clinic in its report said he had tested positive for HIV I and II and declared him unfit for the job, Dilshad said adding that when he got his blood tested at four other labs, including AIIMS, the results came back negative for HIV.
The lab in its defence has said it was going to hold the tests again after four to six weeks to confirm the results and had followed the proper procedures for conducting such tests.
The forum, however, rejected the contention saying the defence taken does not mitigate the lab`s liability.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt