Clogged arteries can also cause clouded thinking
Washington: Clogged arteries or atherosclerosis that causes heart disease can bring on dementia by restricting blood flow to the brain.
Dementia includes difficulty with thinking, reasoning and memory, and can be caused by vascular disease (related to blood vessels), Alzheimer`s disease, a combination of both and other causes.
Atherosclerosis is a build-up of plaque in the arteries linked with elevated blood pressure, cholesterol, smoking and other risk factors. Alzheimer`s is a progressive brain disorder that destroys brain cells.
When clogged arteries restrict or blocks blood flow to the brain, it is called cerebrovascular disease, which can result in vascular cognitive impairment, reports Stroke: Journal of the American Heart Association.
"We have learned that cerebrovascular disease and Alzheimer`s disease may work together to cause cognitive impairment and the mixed disorder may be the most common type of dementia in older people," said Philip B. Gorelick.
The prevalence of dementia increases with advancing age and affects about 30 percent of people over 80 years of age, added Gorelick, director of the Centre for Stroke Research at the University of Illinois College of Medicine, Chicago, according to its statement.
Physical activity, healthy diet, healthy body weight, tobacco avoidance as well as blood pressure and cholesterol management could significantly help many people maintain their mental abilities as they age.
"Generally speaking, what is good for the heart is good for the brain," Gorelick said.
"Although it is not definitely proven yet, treatment or prevention of major risk factors for stroke and heart disease may prove to also preserve cognitive function with age."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Up to 700 migrants feared dead in Mediterranean this week: UN
- After 11 years Mars will come closest to Earth on May 30
- Indian Premier League 2016 Final: SunRisers Hyderabad vs Royal Challengers Bangalore — As it happened...
- Rahul Singh takes blessings from poor on his B-day
- Dino Morea, Ranbir Kapoor flaunt football skills! - See pics