Clots in brain linked to ageing
New Delhi: Some signs of old age such as stooped posture and restricted movement may be due to hidden blood vessel damage in the brain, US scientists say.
A team of scientists at the Rush University Medical Center, in Chicago, carried out autopsies on the brains of nuns and priests.
The brains were examined under a microscope for signs of damage, which would be invisible to normal brain scans.
They found 29 per cent of patients with no previously detected sign of stroke had clotted or narrowed blood vessels.
When comparing the severity of damage with a score of Parkinson`s-like symptoms such as slow movement, rigidity, tremors and posture, the study said there was a link.
The researchers then concluded that damage, undetectable with current scanning techniques, may contribute to the development of what is currently considered normal age-related motor symptoms such as Parkinsonian signs. However, it could not prove that the damage itself caused declining mobility, merely that there was a link between the two.
"This is very surprising," the BBC quoted lead researcher Prof Aron Buchman as saying.
"Often the mild motor symptoms are considered an expected part of aging. We shouldn`t accept this as normal aging. We should try to fix it and understand it. If there is an underlying cause, we can intervene and perhaps lessen the impact," he added.
The study has been published in the journal Stroke.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?