Coffee and booze linked to high increase of BP
Washington: New studies have shown that consumption of coffee and alcohol could cause dramatic increase in BP.
A new meta-analysis shows that, among hypertensive individuals, caffeine intake of 1.5 – 2 cups produces an acute increase in BP, which lasts for at least three hours.
However, the evidence does not support an association between longer-term coffee consumption and increased BP or increased risk of cardiovascular disease among patients with HBP.
In five trials, the administration of 200-300 mg caffeine (the content of 1.5-2 cups of filtered coffee) produced a mean increase of 8.2 mm Hg in systolic BP and of 5.6 mm Hg in diastolic BP.
The increase in BP was observed in the first hour after caffeine intake and lasted for at least three hours.
In six trials on the longer-term effect (1 week) of coffee, there was no increase in BP when comparing caffeine versus placebo, coffee versus a caffeine-free diet, or coffee versus decaffeinated coffee.
“These results have clinical implications for the control of hypertensive patients. Because caffeine intake acutely increases blood pressure, hypertensive patients with uncontrolled blood pressure should avoid consuming large doses of caffeine,” said lead study author, Esther Lopez-Garcia, Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, Autonoma University of Madrid, Spain.
“Also, the consumption of caffeine in the hours before measuring blood pressure may elevate the reading and give the erroneous impression that blood pressure is poorly controlled,” he said.
Another study revealed that drinking too much alcohol could raise BP to unhealthy levels, especially among men.
Among men, a linear dose–response relationship between alcohol intake and risk of development of hypertension was noted.
The risk of hypertension significantly increases with consumption of more than 30g/day in men in women alike.
“For patients, especially men, it’s very important to ask about alcohol consumption and to recommend moderation when trying to maintain blood pressure control,” said Agarwal, Department of Medicine, St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons.
The studies will be presented at the American Society of Hypertension, Inc.`s 26th Annual Scientific Meeting and Exposition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon