Coffee `can cure hangover`
London: Scientists have finally confirmed
what many suffering drinkers have long suspected -- a cup of hot coffee is the best cure for a hangover.
A new study has revealed that drinking a cup of
hot coffee in the morning, along with an aspirin, can help one
get over a hangover and the traditional morning-after boost is
better than modern alternatives like organic honey or raw egg.
In fact, according to the scientists, the caffeine in
coffee and anti-inflammatory ingredients of aspirin combat the
alcohol, the `Daily Express` reported.
For the study, a team, led by Philadelphia researcher
Michael Oshinsky, induced headaches in laboratory rats using
small amounts of ethanol or pure alcohol. The animals then had
doses of caffeine and anti-inflammatories which cleared pain.
"None of the commonly cited cures for hangovers could
have caused this response," Oshinsky was quoted as telling the
The laboratory rats were not dehydrated either,
going against an argument that coffee should not be used as a
hangover cure because it just causes further dehydration, say
A research by Norwegian University of Science
and Technology had, however, claimed that people who consume
high amounts of caffeine each day are more likely to suffer
occasional headaches than those with low caffeine consumption.
The results of the 2009 study, published in
the `Journal of Headache Pain`, were drawn from a large study
of 50,483 people who answered a questionnaire about caffeine
consumption and headache.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!