Coffee `can cure hangover`
London: Scientists have finally confirmed
what many suffering drinkers have long suspected -- a cup of hot coffee is the best cure for a hangover.
A new study has revealed that drinking a cup of
hot coffee in the morning, along with an aspirin, can help one
get over a hangover and the traditional morning-after boost is
better than modern alternatives like organic honey or raw egg.
In fact, according to the scientists, the caffeine in
coffee and anti-inflammatory ingredients of aspirin combat the
alcohol, the `Daily Express` reported.
For the study, a team, led by Philadelphia researcher
Michael Oshinsky, induced headaches in laboratory rats using
small amounts of ethanol or pure alcohol. The animals then had
doses of caffeine and anti-inflammatories which cleared pain.
"None of the commonly cited cures for hangovers could
have caused this response," Oshinsky was quoted as telling the
The laboratory rats were not dehydrated either,
going against an argument that coffee should not be used as a
hangover cure because it just causes further dehydration, say
A research by Norwegian University of Science
and Technology had, however, claimed that people who consume
high amounts of caffeine each day are more likely to suffer
occasional headaches than those with low caffeine consumption.
The results of the 2009 study, published in
the `Journal of Headache Pain`, were drawn from a large study
of 50,483 people who answered a questionnaire about caffeine
consumption and headache.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?