Coffee `can cure hangover`
London: Scientists have finally confirmed
what many suffering drinkers have long suspected -- a cup of hot coffee is the best cure for a hangover.
A new study has revealed that drinking a cup of
hot coffee in the morning, along with an aspirin, can help one
get over a hangover and the traditional morning-after boost is
better than modern alternatives like organic honey or raw egg.
In fact, according to the scientists, the caffeine in
coffee and anti-inflammatory ingredients of aspirin combat the
alcohol, the `Daily Express` reported.
For the study, a team, led by Philadelphia researcher
Michael Oshinsky, induced headaches in laboratory rats using
small amounts of ethanol or pure alcohol. The animals then had
doses of caffeine and anti-inflammatories which cleared pain.
"None of the commonly cited cures for hangovers could
have caused this response," Oshinsky was quoted as telling the
The laboratory rats were not dehydrated either,
going against an argument that coffee should not be used as a
hangover cure because it just causes further dehydration, say
A research by Norwegian University of Science
and Technology had, however, claimed that people who consume
high amounts of caffeine each day are more likely to suffer
occasional headaches than those with low caffeine consumption.
The results of the 2009 study, published in
the `Journal of Headache Pain`, were drawn from a large study
of 50,483 people who answered a questionnaire about caffeine
consumption and headache.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you