Coffee`s stimulating powers are all in your mind!
London: Most people believe that a cup of coffee in the morning helps them boost their mental performance all day.
But a new study by the University of East London has suggested that the stimulating effect of the coffee may be all in the mind.
The British researchers studied 88 volunteers aged between 18 and 47 who were self-confessed coffee lovers, downing at least two cups every day.
Some were given caffeinated coffee and told it was decaffeinated. Others were given decaffeinated but were told it contained caffeine.
The recruits then undertook a series of tests designed to measure mental performance, reaction times and mood.
The results showed the genuine caffeine drinkers showed improved performance on a test, which involves stating the colour a word is printed in.
However, the caffeine drinkers did not appear to have boosted reaction times.
But those who wrongly thought they had caffeinated coffee performed better on both the colour test and reaction times.
Thus the results suggest coffee’s powers may be due to anticipation.
“The findings suggest the expectation of having consumed caffeine confers an enhancement on sustained attention that is at least comparable, and perhaps superior to, the effects of caffeine,” the Daily Mail quoted the researchers as saying.
The report was published in the journal Appetite.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey