Coming soon: A cure for baldness?
London: Coming soon: A cure for baldness, say scientists who claim to have for the first time grown hair on hairless rodents in the laboratory.
A team at Tokyo University of Science has, in fact, achieved the breakthrough by implanting follicles created from stem cells into the skin of the so-called bald mice which eventually grew hair.
This is for the first time researchers showed that hair follicles can be grown with adult stem cells.
"Our current study thus demonstrates the potential for not only hair regeneration therapy but also the realisation of bioengineered organ replacement using adult somatic stem cells," Prof Takashi Tsuji, who led the study, was quoted by the media as saying.
Added Koh-ei Toyoshima, a team member: "We would like to start clinical research within three to five years, so that an actual treatment to patients can start within a decade."
The findings have been published online in the `Nature Communications` journal.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?