Coming soon: A cure for baldness?
London: Coming soon: A cure for baldness, say scientists who claim to have for the first time grown hair on hairless rodents in the laboratory.
A team at Tokyo University of Science has, in fact, achieved the breakthrough by implanting follicles created from stem cells into the skin of the so-called bald mice which eventually grew hair.
This is for the first time researchers showed that hair follicles can be grown with adult stem cells.
"Our current study thus demonstrates the potential for not only hair regeneration therapy but also the realisation of bioengineered organ replacement using adult somatic stem cells," Prof Takashi Tsuji, who led the study, was quoted by the media as saying.
Added Koh-ei Toyoshima, a team member: "We would like to start clinical research within three to five years, so that an actual treatment to patients can start within a decade."
The findings have been published online in the `Nature Communications` journal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nagaland HSLC (Class 10) Result 2016 to be declared today on May 3 at 12 noon
- Nagaland HSSLC (Class 12 on May ) Result 2016 to be declared today 3 at 12 noon
- VVIP chopper cam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi reaches CBI office for questioning
- Barack Obama has wish about Osama bin Laden`s last moments
- 162 children die in four months in Pakistan's Tharparkar district