Common infections linked with increased risk of memory decline
Washington: A new research has found that exposure to common infections may up risk of memory decline, even if the infections never made you ill.
Researchers found an index of antibody levels caused by exposure to Chlamydia pneumoniae, Helicobacter pylori, cytomegalovirus, and herpes simplex viruses 1 and 2 was associated with worse cognitive performance, including memory, speed of mental processing, abstract thinking, planning and reasoning ability.
Clinton Wright , the study's lead researcher and scientific director of the Evelyn F. McKnight Brain Institute at the University of Miami, said that his team was very interested in what were the risk factors for cognitive performance and decline.
Earlier studies have already linked certain infections to an increased risk of stroke and Alzheimer's disease. Researchers investigated if evidence of past exposure to these infections contributed to performance on tests of memory, thinking speed and other brain functions.
The study conducted brain function tests and took blood samples from 588 people who participated in the Northern Manhattan Study. Half of the participants then took cognitive tests again in five years.
Researchers believe exposure to these infections may be associated with an increase in stroke risk, as well as an increase in atherosclerosis and inflammation, said Dr. Wright.
The study doesn't explain why the infections are related to worsening cognitive function.
It could be caused by an immune system response to the infections or the infection itself could result in clinical damage that we're not aware of, Wright said.
Wright, who conducted the study in collaboration with researchers at Columbia University, isn't suggesting that people take any action to combat these infections.
There is no evidence yet that treating these infections is beneficial, he said, because the initial exposure to the viruses may have happened decades earlier and the damage may be the result of a gradual process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics