Commuting in trains and buses `doesn’t give you flu`
London: You may think that travelling in public transport like buses and trains during autumn and winter would give you flu, but it’s not true.
Scientists from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine have found there is no difference in flu rates between those who take public transport and those who do not, the Telegraph reported.
But they found that those with children are more likely to develop flu.
In a study, the researchers asked 28,000 people throughout Europe to record whether or not they experienced flu-like symptoms last winter, and matched their answers back to information the volunteers had given about their lifestyles.
“Last year we found no difference in the chance of reporting a flu-like illness in people who took public transport and people who did not,” the Telegraph quoted Dr Alma Adler, research fellow in the school’s department of infectious disease Epidemiology, as saying.
“In fact, people not taking public transport reported marginally higher rates,” Dr Adler noted.
While the team’s research appears to crush one assumption about how to avoid flu, it confirms another: that those with children get it more than others.
People with children were 14 per cent more likely to report flu-like symptoms than those of a similar age who did not.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!