Computers wrecking kids` reading skills: Study
London: Increased usage of computers is badly affecting children`s reading habits, a new study has claimed.
Researchers at the Gothenburg University in Sweden found that the reading ability of nine and ten-year-olds has slumped in countries where households have at least one computer, the Daily Mail reported.
For their study, the researchers compared the reading skills of pupils aged nine and ten in Sweden, the US, Italy and Hungary.
They found that since 1991, average reading ability had fallen in the US and Sweden, but had increased in Italy and Hungary, where people are less likely to have computers at home.
Children in the US and Sweden also took out fewer books from the library and spent less of their leisure time reading.
The researchers found that boys` ability had decreased slightly more than girls, possibly because they tended to spend more time on video games.
Professor Monica Rosen, who led the research, said: "Reading ability falls as leisure use of computers increases.
"It is important that we do not jump to the conclusion that the complete explanation for poorer reading is deficiencies in education.
"On the contrary, the way in which computers undermine reading shows very clearly that leisure time is at least as important when it comes to developing high-quality reading skills."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video