Conference on cancer diagnosis and therapy from Sep 15
Hyderabad: Aimed at bringing awareness in public on cancer diagnosis and therapy, a three-day 'Global Cancer Conference and Medicare Summit-2014' would be held here from September 15.
The conference, with the theme 'Recent Advances in Cancer Diagnosis and Therapy', aims to create awareness among rural and urban population to get diagnosed in early stages, said Srinubabu Gedela, Managing Director of Open Access Publication Group, which is organising the event in collaboration with cancer hospitals, drug manufacturers and healthcare providers.
"The event is to integrate the knowledge of cancer researchers with the knowledge of clinicians and oncologists to understand and comprehend the disease. About 2,000 delegates from across the globe are expected to participate in the conference," he told reporters here today.
"Top experts and delegates will hold in-depth discussion on different types of cancer, with focus on difficulties and dilemmas of clinical decision making," Srinubabu said adding the conference also aims to make an assessment of economic burden of cancer to assist health care policy makers.
Cancer is one of the leading causes for death in India accounting 8 per cent of total number of deaths. While cancer in oral cavity and lungs is prominent among men, cervical and breast cancers are most common among women in India, accounting for over 50 per cent of all cancer deaths in the country, he said.
"50-60 per cent of cancer patients are unable to complete the entire treatment cycle and die due to lack of awareness on cancer prevention and early detection techniques," Srinubabu said.
As many as 7,97,657 new cancer cases were registered during 2001. The number is expected to reach 12,19,649 by 2016, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof