Contact lens fungus damages British woman`s eye
London: A 42-year-old British woman has claimed her left eye was damaged by a fungus after she wore disposable contact lenses for a day.
Jacqueline Stone, a math teaching assistant from Essex, spent 17 weeks in hospital after wearing the lenses, The Sun reported.
The woman had bought the "all-day comfort" lenses online.
"They felt uncomfortable all day. When I took them out, the left one had stuck to my eye," she told the daily.
She said her vision became blurred and she was given drops by her doctor.
"A white pocket of pus started forming over my pupil and eventually burst, splitting my eyeball," she said.
"I was screaming. I was given morphine, but it didn`t touch the pain. I`ve given birth twice but nothing compares to that. I could feel the bug eating through my eye."
She went to a Cambridge hospital, where she was diagnosed with an infection caused by the Fusarium fungus.
It had eaten through three layers of her eye and 70 nerves.
After 22 surgeries, surgeons were forced to remove her eye.
The woman is now suing two local hospitals and the contact lens company.
The Fusarium fungus affects the cornea - the front part of the eye - and can cause blindness. Symptoms include blurred vision, discharge, swelling, tears, pain and sensitivity to light.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest