Contact lenses with UV protection protects eyes from damage in summers
Washington: Doctors have said that people should use contact lenses with UV protection to protect their eyes from the sun`s dangerous rays.
According to Dr. Karl Citek, professor of optometry at Pacific University College of Optometry, and member of the Foundation of the American Academy of Ophthalmology (FAAO), contact lenses with ultraviolet protection help in reduction or elimination of the UV rays, which would normally strike the naked eye, Fox News reported.
One of the most common effects of sun`s ray striking the eye is called photokeratitis - or sunburn of the eye.
In addition, exposure to the sun can also cause cataracts, which result in lens` clouding inside the eye, which causes severe reduction of vision and can only be corrected by surgery.
Other problems that can be caused because of sun is pinguecula, which is a raised bump on the sclera - eye`s white outer wall - or pterygium, which is an abnormal growth of tissue from the sclera onto the cornea, furthermore, it can also worsen age-related macular degeneration, (AMD) which results in severe vision loss.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Kazakhstan beats Thailand in race for Asian seat on Security Council
- The human body refreshes itself every seven years! - Watch video
- UK Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn refuses to resign after losing confidence vote
- Serena Williams, Andy Murray cruise at rain-lashed Wimbledon
- 262 new faunal species discovered in India in 2015: Official