Controversial` Pentavalent vaccine safe, say experts
Bangalore: Terming the "controversial" Pentavalent vaccine "effective and safe", health experts here Friday said the vaccine will be pivotal in bringing down the country`s child mortality rate.
Touted as a"one-shot wonder" and introduced in the universal immunisation programme (UIP) in eight states, the vaccine claims to targets five infections: diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus hepatitis-B and HiB (haemophilius influenzae type B).
HiB is responsible for pneumonia and meningitis in children in some countries.
However, the Pentavalent immunization programme, which began as a pilot project in Kerala and Tamil Nadu in December 2011, ran into a controversy after four deaths were reported from Kerala. However, the state government refused to attribute it to the vaccine.
"Pentavalent vaccine expansion in UIP is a significant step in India`s call to action to renew its commitment to child survival by strengthening key strategic public health intervention," said Dr. Satish Gupta, health specialist, UNICEF, while speaking at "Media Consultation Workshop on Pentavalent vaccine" here.
Endorsing the vaccine, Dr. Jagadish Chinnappa of Indian Academy of Paediatric (IAP) said: "The private practitioner have been prescribing this vaccine for over 10 years now. No serious adverse effect has been noted by them during this time."
Many health activist have also been asserting that foreign companies have been pushing pentavalent in to India, even as death have been reported in some countries like Vietnam, Pakistan, Bhutan and Sri Lanka.
They also believe that it would increase the cost of the basic Diphtheria Percutonis Whooping cough Tetanus (DPT) vaccine from Rs.15 to Rs.520 per child.
Introduced in the national immunisation programme, the vaccine is procured by the Indian government through UNICEF and Global Alliance for Vaccines and immunisation (GAVI).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!