Cord blood helps US girl recover from critical brain injury
Washington: A little girl in US was able to get out the vegetative state she was reduced to after a brain injury, thanks to cord blood stem cells.
When Sparrow Morris fell into the family’s swimming pool, she was left unconscious and without oxygen for 45 minutes. It caused severe brain damage and she was left in a vegetative state unable to sit or speak.
“She had a contorted body,” Fox News quoted Tonya Morris, Sparrow’s mother, as saying.
The Morris’, who have 8 children, had decided to bank Sparrow’s cord blood earler but didn’t think they’d ever need to use it.
Fifteen months after her injury, doctors reinfused the cord blood into Sparrow as part of a trial at Duke University.
Morris said she noticed a difference in her daughter the next day.
“She was excited, walking better… she spontaneously started talking to me,” she said.
“We didn’t think we’d ever have to use (the cord blood). We just saw the value in it and decided it was money well-spent,” she added.
Doctors are discovering that cord blood can have a positive effect on all kinds of medical conditions - from cancer to cerebral palsy to hearing loss.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...