Cord blood helps US girl recover from critical brain injury
Washington: A little girl in US was able to get out the vegetative state she was reduced to after a brain injury, thanks to cord blood stem cells.
When Sparrow Morris fell into the family’s swimming pool, she was left unconscious and without oxygen for 45 minutes. It caused severe brain damage and she was left in a vegetative state unable to sit or speak.
“She had a contorted body,” Fox News quoted Tonya Morris, Sparrow’s mother, as saying.
The Morris’, who have 8 children, had decided to bank Sparrow’s cord blood earler but didn’t think they’d ever need to use it.
Fifteen months after her injury, doctors reinfused the cord blood into Sparrow as part of a trial at Duke University.
Morris said she noticed a difference in her daughter the next day.
“She was excited, walking better… she spontaneously started talking to me,” she said.
“We didn’t think we’d ever have to use (the cord blood). We just saw the value in it and decided it was money well-spent,” she added.
Doctors are discovering that cord blood can have a positive effect on all kinds of medical conditions - from cancer to cerebral palsy to hearing loss.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah