`Couch potatoes double risk of lung blood clots`
Paris: Lying around for long stretches outside of work doubles the risk of dangerous blood clots in the lungs, according to a study among women released today.
The study looked at the risk of pulmonary embolism -- blood clots in the lungs that typically arise from a vein constriction in the legs -- among 69,950 female nurses over an 18-year period.
Previous research has highlighted a number of factors for this condition, including age, immobility on long-haul flights, obesity, smoking and hypertension.
The new research suggests that a sedentary lifestyle can be added to the list.
Over the 18-year study period, there were 268 cases of pulmonary embolism.
The risk more than doubled in women who spent more than 41 hours a week sitting down outside the workplace compared to those who were seated for less than 10 hours per week.
Results held even after age, weight and tobacco consumption were taken into account.
The study, published online by the British Medical Journal (BMJ), is led by Christopher Kabrhel at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Researchers called for further work to see if the results also applied to men, and to people not of European origin.
They also pointed out that the mean age of the women studied was 55, leaving open the question of whether younger women would be subject to the same risks.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!