Cows` milk protects against HIV
Melbourne: Cows` milk can be potentially developed into affordable creams that can help protect humans against HIV, a study has claimed.
Lead scientist from University of Melbourne Marit Kramski found that when pregnant cows were vaccinated with an HIV protein, the first milk produced by the cow after giving birth, called colostrum, produced high antibodies to protect its newborn against disease.
Researchers were now planning to test the effectiveness and safety of the milk before turning it into a cream which will hopefully allow women to protect themselves against contracting the virus during sex, without relying on men, the Herald Sun reported.
However, the final result could be a decade off.
The researchers were able to inhibit the virus from infecting cells when combing the virus cells with milk.
"We think the antibodies bind to the surface of the virus and block the protein which needs to be freed to get in contact with human cells - like a key and lock system. If the key`s not accessible or you change the key, you can`t open the door," Kramski said adding
"It`s a very cheap and easy way to produce a lot of antibodies."
Kramski had partnered with Australian biotechnology company Immuron Ltd to develop the milk, and would continue working with them to produce a preventative cream.
"We have the antibodies at the moment - the next step will be formulation," Kramski said.
Condoms were "cheap and easy" but not an option for everyone with millions of people getting infected with HIV every year, she added.
"A lot of women, especially in Africa or South America they don`t have the power to say you need to use a condom before we have sex.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video