Cuba tests prostate cancer vaccine
Havana: Cuban scientists said they have concluded the second round of the clinical trial of a potential vaccine against prostate cancer.
Urologist Ranfis Rodriguez Monday said 56 patients, who were vaccinated in two hospitals, showed a remarkable improvement in their condition, reported Xinhua.
A decrease in specific prostate tumour antigens was observed with little or no production of testosterone, said Rodriguez, who leads a research team at the Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (CIGB) in Camaguey, a city 530 km east of Havana.
The Heber Provac vaccine is applied in advanced stages of prostate cancer but before the patient receives X-ray or chemotherapy treatment, in order to make hormonal suppression possible, he said.
Another expert, Jesus Junco, said the vaccine designed to combat stage 3 and 4 malignant tumours should be as effective as or more effective than standard treatments in the future.
Researchers will study the vaccine`s interaction with other drugs and make comparison with standard drugs and treatments used to fight the disease, he said.
Each year, more than 2,500 men develop prostate cancer in Cuba, most of them aged over 60, and 60 percent of the cases are fatal, according to official data.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM