Cuba to unveil new anti-cancer drug
Havana: Cuba is expected to introduce a new anti-cancer drug that is more effective than its predecessor, media reported.
The new drug, developed by Cuba`s Labiofam Entrepreneurial Group, will be presented once the relevant research is completed, according to Jose Antonio Fraga Castro, director of the organization. He did not say when that might be, reported Xinhua.
Fraga told the state-run magazine Options he was very "impressed" by the new product, saying it is highly superior to Vidatox, an anti-cancer drug manufactured by the group which is made from the venom of the blue scorpion, endemic in Cuba.
Cancer has become the leading cause of death in Cuba, so health authorities have decided to prioritize the fight against cancer in an attempt to transform it from a fatal disease to a chronic one.
Over the past 20 years, the Cuban government has invested $1 billion in research to find a cure for cancer, which annually kills 31,000 people in the Caribbean country.
Cuba`s biotechnology industry markets pharmaceutical products and vaccines in more than 50 countries. Industry officials estimate the sector could earn more than $5 billion in export revenues from 2013 to 2017, more than double of what it generated in the past five years.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India