Cuba working on anti-cancer treatment using scorpion venom
Havana: Cuba is working on four research projects on anti-cancer treatments using the venom of a type of scorpion that is endemic to the island, government officials announced Tuesday.
One of those projects, which is being undertaken by the Cuban firm Labiofam, has come to fruition and the homeopathic medication Vidatox is already being sold in Cuba. Vidatox is a pain-alleviating therapeutic measure that is intended to compliment the treatment of cancer symptoms.
These and other experiences will be presented at the 2nd International Conference being held by Labiofam next September along with a Symposium on Natural Products in Therapy against Cancer, according to what company president Jose Antonio Fraga said at a press conference.
Cuban scientists have verified that the toxin in the venom of the Rophalorus junceus scorpion has an analgesic, anti-inflamatory and anti-tumoral effect.
The toxin is extracted from the scorpion using electrical stimulation and each animal can contribute about 0.02 milliliters of venom, equivalent to two or three drops.
To enable scientists to pursue this research, which was begun 15 years ago, Cuba created a network of scorpion raisers all over the country, Fraga noted, adding that the research leading to the creation of the medication cost some 23 million pesos (almost $1 million).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!