Culprit behind hardening of arteries identified
Washington: A team of researchers have now identified a microRNA that plays a prominent role in Atherosclerosis - an inflammatory reaction which is the root of the most common forms of cardiovascular disease - and offers a promising target for new therapies.
Atherosclerosis - otherwise known as hardening of the arteries - is a prevalent cause of death in modern societies.
The condition arises from the build-up of localized fatty deposits called plaques in the arteries.
Macrophages, the phagocytic cells of the immune system, migrate to these sites, inducing chronic inflammation which exacerbates the accumulation of the atherosclerotic lesions.
These can lead to obstruction of major vessels, causing heart attack and stroke.
A team of medical researchers led by LMU`s Professor Andreas Schober has now identified a microRNA (miRNA) that helps initiate the inflammatory process.
miRNAs are short segments of RNA derived from longer precursors transcribed from defined stretches of the genomic DNA.
They act as versatile regulators of gene expression in cells, and also control the function of macrophages, in which patterns of gene activity must respond rapidly to changes in the extracellular environment.
"However, the miRNAs that control the inflammation process during the various stages of atherosclerosis had not been identified up to now," Schober said.
In an earlier study, Schober and his team had shown that the microRNA miR-155 is a prominent member of the miRNA population in macrophages.
The molecule prevents the synthesis of a protein that inhibits the inflammatory reaction, and thus promotes the progression of atherosclerosis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NIA busts ISIS module in Hyderabad; 11 arrested
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Shocking CCTV footage of deadly suicide blasts at Istanbul's Ataturk airport captured: Watch
- Kejriwal chides Goa CM over tainted relative
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet brings cheers for Armed forces; salary more than doubled
- Barcelona's Luis Suarez confident Lionel Messi will reverse his decision to retire
- 7th Pay Commission: Demand to push growth; modest risk to inflation