Culprit behind hardening of arteries identified
Washington: A team of researchers have now identified a microRNA that plays a prominent role in Atherosclerosis - an inflammatory reaction which is the root of the most common forms of cardiovascular disease - and offers a promising target for new therapies.
Atherosclerosis - otherwise known as hardening of the arteries - is a prevalent cause of death in modern societies.
The condition arises from the build-up of localized fatty deposits called plaques in the arteries.
Macrophages, the phagocytic cells of the immune system, migrate to these sites, inducing chronic inflammation which exacerbates the accumulation of the atherosclerotic lesions.
These can lead to obstruction of major vessels, causing heart attack and stroke.
A team of medical researchers led by LMU`s Professor Andreas Schober has now identified a microRNA (miRNA) that helps initiate the inflammatory process.
miRNAs are short segments of RNA derived from longer precursors transcribed from defined stretches of the genomic DNA.
They act as versatile regulators of gene expression in cells, and also control the function of macrophages, in which patterns of gene activity must respond rapidly to changes in the extracellular environment.
"However, the miRNAs that control the inflammation process during the various stages of atherosclerosis had not been identified up to now," Schober said.
In an earlier study, Schober and his team had shown that the microRNA miR-155 is a prominent member of the miRNA population in macrophages.
The molecule prevents the synthesis of a protein that inhibits the inflammatory reaction, and thus promotes the progression of atherosclerosis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued